Safety alert for gas heaters!

An unsafe heater can cause a house fire or pollute homes with dangerous fumes

By Jade Tweedie

16-07-2018 |
An unsafe heater can cause a house fire or pollute homes with dangerous fumes including carbon monoxide. Having your gas heater serviced at a minimum of every two years by a qualified gasfitter, can help keep your tenants safe. Some gas heaters have been identified as posing a serious health risk.

Australians have been warned to service gas heaters after several people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in Melbourne.

The condition of gas heaters is therefore important to the safety of tenants in winter, particularly with older models such as the Pyrox and Vulcan 48 series as well as the Vulcan Heritage gas heater series, which have been identified by several state government authorities.

However, those models aside, tests indicate that all gas heaters have the potential to release unsafe levels of carbon monoxide under certain conditions.

Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that may affect your tenant’s health if they breathe it in. Symptoms can include tiredness, shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, weakness, confusion or chest pain.

We can’t reinforce the importance of the warnings released by various state and territory authorities enough. The Victorian Government is currently considering a ban on open-flue gas heaters after a woman died from carbon monoxide poisoning in her home.

If you have a gas appliance in your own home or a rental property you own, ask your property manager about the importance of having a gas safety check today.

Lives could depend on it.